NY Times: Microsoft, NYT partner on newspaper software. Aiming to offer newspapers a new digital publishing alternative, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates on Friday touted a software program that tries to make publications easier to read on a computer screen.
- Do very many people really want to read the paper’s journalism this way?
- How much will the newspaper(s) charge?
- Will this product include digital restrictions management (DRM) that, for example, prevents saving the stories or copying a section for further (fair) use?
- What is the itch being scratched here, other than herding readers into a system that can be more easily monetized but is less convenient and very likely much more restrictive?
- In other words, what’s really in it for the customers?